Sunday, July 18, 2010

Bless You- Women of Gee's Bend

I am too instant gratification oriented to really enjoy quilting. I started this ordeal before I left for Bolivia, gruelingly piecing little strips of cotton that came out of a scrap bag from Whitney and cursing the craft. Whitney and I looked at Gee's Bend quilts for ideas, but in the end my quilt just came out the way it wanted to be: no set symmetrical pattern, not exactly square, and machine quilted. A younger, more purist version of myself, circa 1996 when I sewed a dress a week- resulting in a closet full of floral printed cotton dresses- would have insisted on hand quilting, but I wanted to get this baby birthed. I think this quilt will serve as a reminder of this transition time in my life, and if I don't ever find a job and become a thriving professional, I will be the most crafty and cozy looking bum down on Main Street and 9th.  

6 comments:

Erin said...

I like it Em--its really cool.

Sutton said...

I think it's really cute! I hear you on the pain in the bum to do it though.

Deb said...

It's growing on me. I like you.

Suzy M said...

Wow, that's a big compliment from your mom. I like the quilt and the blond model.

Julie in the studio said...

My little Simon always smiles at me when he lays on the quilt you made him. (He is a cozy bum too.)

Chels said...

the dress turned out really well, em! so foxy!