Friday, May 2, 2008

Why my right thumb kills

the dang embroidery on this hoody, while very simple, was really difficult to puncture through the fabric, especially over the screenprinted areas. anyone know any embroidery tips?

I plan on making more of these "recycled" hoodies. I bought a bunch of these hoodies and other t-shirts and plan on combining them with stitchery and applique. I turn to the needle arts because it is "almost the only [art] within a woman's grasp." That is what Nathaniel Hawthorne says in The Scarlet Letter, I'm glad times have changed since the 1850's. All the same, it is enriching to dabble in a lost art known only to grandmothers and Mrs. Ethel Wright Mohamed. Also, I'm trying to sell these re-invented hoodies on Etsy. We'll see what happens.

backside

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Emily, I love it! That has got to be the coolest hoodie I have ever seen. Let us all know when you set up shop!

[M] said...

ooh, I love it. what a great idea, good luck!

Chelsea said...

I'll buy one....love it!

Susan said...

Emily,
I love this, super creative & cool. How much are selling them for? Are you staying in utah over the summer months? We still need to get together.

debfox said...

One tip: thimble. Great sweatshirt idea! A step up from the machine embroidered sweatshirts with dogs and kittens sold at the Badger Mountain Christmas Bazaar a few years ago.

debfox said...

Hey Ho! Cancel that. I know yer sayin, "What's wrong with dogs and kittens anyway?" We like dogs and kitty cats. Go Miss Kitty! (Ask Emily about Miss Kitty)

Lfoxy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lfoxy said...

That's Dr. Kitty Williams to you